.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

SHOOTER'S DREAM

On and on, fantasy murders your lullaby. © David Kong 2004-2006

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

hmmm...

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Bosie, I got it already

Friday night.

I took Fairfax and saw two crashed cars lying vertical to each other @ Santa Monica Blvd. After a peek I turned right onto SM. Then another left on Highland...now you know where I'm heading. Sunset, then Ameoba.

Within an hour I got a handful of stuff. "The Double Life of Veronika", I thought it would be one of the "oop" things but hey, they got a used and a brand new one here. Amoeba, full of surprises, from time to time, for those who keeps trying their luck. Immediately I wanted to share this with Bosie. Liz Story's first piano solo album, I have been longing for it since I first heard "Wedding Rain" in B's Windham Hill piano collection. It was lying in the clearance section--for those of you familiar with Amoeba, this means a red-tag and a buy-3-get-1-free. (Yeah that good.) Harlem's two albums were buried in the world's clearance section, and I digged out a Michael Franks CD from the "vocal" clearance section. (Weird that Michael should be placed among say, Barbra Streisand and Harry Connick Jr.) So that makes a perfect combination.

What was of extra value was the sealed Japanese CD by Mono and world's end girlfriend. I just gave it a listen, pure detail development and emotion control, fan-f***ing-tastic. It started with strings, then some guitars, then some drums, some piano, more piano and guitar, more drums, the volume almost doubled, and ooooooooh it feels nice to hear that breakdown near 50 minutes after it started. It diminished in the similarly tender string quartet. Reminds me of Kronos Quartet. But here it takes flight with piano and guitars.

波西,我先你一步了

What shall I say about "Double Life" then, now after one spin...the chorus, the flute, the piano and the strings, they are all very Preisner, very. You remember when the sad heroine dipped her sugar cube in a cup of coffee in "Bleu"? Yeah that moment resembles the feeling of this music. Delicate and pathetic, desolated and chilled, mournful and religious, with constant emphasis on the greatness of living. Oh yeah I love it. 31 minutes is just about the right time for something to get you and start to diffuse inside you. Like Stina Nordenstam's "This is", or Sylvia Cheung's "Cost of Love". I should shorten my own album even more in future...

Post midnight and I put on the Michael Franks "Dragonfly Summer". That voice and melodies, that arrangement, that thing about Michael Franks, is so perfect for a summer night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home