.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

SHOOTER'S DREAM

On and on, fantasy murders your lullaby. © David Kong 2004-2006

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

hmmm...

Monday, October 16, 2006

The Musical Journey II

Christoph Eschenbach conducts The Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra in a mesmorizing performance of Tchaikovsky's "Pathetique" Symphony.
We were in about the 10th row of the orchetra section, the best seat I've ever had in a classical concert. And it was the dearest symphony of my life. When B said that Christoph was so amazing that he could conduct without the score, I thought I pretty much could as well. I remember everything.
That being said, I couldn't retreat from the audience and be a pure judge on their rendition of this all-time favorite piece. I was absorbed in five minutes after it started, and could not move until the last moment.
VERIZON HALL, KIMMEL CENTER

I felt a nudge when the main theme of the first movement came along. I realized that it was a signal from B's tears to mine. And we sat there watching the conductor's powerful moving, indulged in this tremendous eloquence of passion and life and their unbearable imperfections.
It wasn't as dramatic as Yuri's 2004 performance at WDCH to me, but it was much more coherent and steady, more as a whole represented the one gigantic power that Tchaikovsky wanted to write down. Brilliant.

This picture was taken actually before the show. Another night with Pathetique, and yet, my theme was not the same.

Saturday, Love Symbol, pre-Pathetique joys

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home